Cell Phone Policy
Policy for Use of Cell Phones and Other Electronic Devices
In order to MAXIMIZE INSTRUCTION and MINIMIZE DISTRACTION, UASPA is committing to collecting phones every morning and re-distributing phones at the end of each day.
Upon arrival at school, all students must turn off their phones and turn phones over to staff members for secure storage during the school day.
Phones will be redistributed to students in their last period class.
Staff should not see any phone at any time. Ladder of consequences if found with a phone:
- 1st violation- if a staff member sees a phone during the school day, it will be confiscated and given to the I CARE Team.
- 2nd violation- the cell phone will need to be picked up by a parent/guardian.
- 3rd violation- the student will not be able to keep their phone with them at school.
- In a safe and supportive learning environment, free from discrimination, harassment, and bigotry;
- Told by my school what is appropriate behavior and what actions may result in disciplinary actions;
- Counseled by members of the professional staff when my behavior may have a negative effect on my education/welfare at school;
- Provided with due process of law in instances of disciplinary action for alleged violation of school rules or the Discipline Code that may result in my suspension or removal from class.
- Follow all rules in the Discipline Code;
- Obey my school’s policy about cell phones and other electronic devices;
- Behave respectfully, without arguing, and cooperate when a staff member give me director or makes a request, including to turn over my cell phone or other electronic device;
- Refrain from taking photos and videos of any students, staff, or school security agents with staff authorization;
- Only use cell phones or other electronic devices in class if I have the teacher’s permission;
- Never use my cell phone or other electronic device to “sext” or intimidate, embarrass, threaten, or bully others;
- Keep my parents informed about school-related matters and make sure I give them any information sent home.
- I should travel to and from school using safe, familiar routes with good lighting, refrain from using shortcuts through isolated areas, and not display my electronic devices or carry them in a manner that attracts attention while traveling.
- Cell phones and electronic devices may not be used during school fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises;
- If I violate my school’s policy or the Discipline Code, my cell phone or other electronic device will be confiscated;
- If I use my cell phone or other electronic device to take photos or videos of others without staff authorization, or to bully, threaten, or intimidate others, or to “sext” or cheat, I will be disciplined in accordance with the Discipline Code;
- I am not permitted to charge my cell phone or other electronic device at school;
- I assume all responsibility for my cell phone and other electronic devices if I bring them to school. My school is not responsible for stolen, damaged, or lost devices.